Interested in Fashion? Check out this Opportunity!
The Council, working in partnership with the Chelsea Arts Club Trust, is delighted to announce two new bursary schemes: one for a fashion designer, and one for a visual artist. The bursary is complemented by free studio space in the Royal Borough.
Studio Bursary Scheme for Fashion Designers The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has made a commitment to supporting the highest standards of artistic practice in the Royal Borough, and nurturing new talent, by developing a studio bursary scheme in partnership with the Chelsea Arts Club Trust.
The designer for bursary will receive:
1. Access to free studio space for up to three years.
2. An annual bursary of £8,000.
3. An annual contribution towards materials (maximum amount of £1,000)
4. An annual contribution of up to £1,000 towards the costs of utilities and insurance.
5. Access to a range of professional development opportunities (e.g. mentoring with an industry professional).
In addition, the Royal Borough may offer the Designer a show or exhibition of work produced during the residency at an appropriate venue in Kensington and Chelsea.
1. Run a minimum of four workshops or open studio sessions for schools and/or community groups per year. (These could be structures around the fashion world’s two main collections per year–spring/ summer and autumn/ winter).
2. Participate in any open studio programme developed by Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
3. Give one public lecture at a time and place to be decided.
4. Develop a local network of young fashion-industry professionals.
5. Donate to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea a piece of work created during the period of residency as agreed between the artist and the representatives of the Royal Borough.
The Council is able to cover the rent and rates (NNDR) of one of its artists’ studios for the period of the residency.
1. Fashion Designers only.
2. Candidates who graduated within the past three years from a UK fashion school, university or college with the intention of becoming full time professionals in their chosen field.
3. Able to supply evidence that you have sought out professional opportunities in the Fashion industry since your graduation. (E.g. Participation in London Fashion week, community projects, etc.)
Note: Preference is given to fashion designer who lives in, has connections with or trained in the Royal Borough.
How to Apply: Please submit…
1. Up to 10 images of your work.
2. Your current CV.
3. Your statement as a Fashion Designer.
4. No more than 500 words describing how this opportunity would benefit your career as a Fashion Designer.
Deadline for Applications:
28 February 2015.
Shortlisted designers will be invited to present their work to a selection panel in March 2015. The successful applicant will be expected to take up the bursary not later than August 2015.
All submissions should be sent by email to:
Senior Strategy Officer
Arts and Culture service
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
E: [email protected]